Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The story of a smoker

Back then when I was in primary 2,
I started to smoke.
Everyone around me smoke.
So, why can't I?

Unfortunately,
my family don't work.
Our house was the ultimate gambling dent.
Back then,
gambling is always accompanied with cigarette and alcohol.
People come in to gamble, smoke and drink.

Every table was filled with many different boxes and brand of cigarette.
I sneak one piece of it onto the palm,
and rushed out the door.

From that day on ward,
the little baton that is between my two little fingers.
The one that I huff and puff.
The one that accompanied me through out my whole life.
Just like how much you love a person,
its the same as how much i love my cigarette.
Within one day,
I can consume 3-4 box of them.
I am officially married to it.


Primary 4.
I was caught smoking in the school toilet.
The principal called my parents down.

I deserve canning as a part of a punishment.

My dad said,
"Don't punish him. He don't deserve it. If you want to punish, punish me. If you want to cane, cane me. I deserve the punishment. I am not a good father. He smoke because of me. My house is the gambling dent. Everyone in the house smokes."



13 years later,
I would like to change for the better.
I decided to quit smoking.
All the cigarette that I own,
were all dump into the bin.

Over night,
I made them my number one enemy.
I promised not to touch them any more.
Never.
Ever.

For two whole months,
i hadn't had any puff.

One day,
I found myself lying on the hospital bed.
My body has been over there for two weeks.
I was unconscious for two whole week.

The doctor asked, "Do you smoke?"
Me, "Yes. But I have stopped for two months."
Doctor, "How long have you been smoking?"
Me, "Ever since primary 2."

Doctor took me out to the shop.
Went for a walk.
He gave me the box of cigarette that he bought from the shop.
"Here, smoke."

It was my first puff after many months.
Oh heaven.

My diagnose:
I cannot quit smoking.

If I were to smoke,
my body will just collapse.

Smoking is already in me.
Its in my blood.
Its more than a marriage.
My cigarette and I are an item.
Or i should say IS an item.


All I want to say is that,
if you are still young,
its not too late to quit.

If you have never ever touch the little white baton.
Don't even think about it.
Or you might end up regretting it.


Well,
this story came from a taxi driver.
It was kind of him to share it with me.
And i ought to share it with the people I love.
That is you.

*
*
*
*
*

Princesyafiqj



No comments: